I made a side trip to Kinderhook, New York - the hometown and gravesite of Martin Van Buren, the 8th President of the United States.
Known as Lindenwald, his house has been preserved as a National Historic Site and is available to tour. Many of Van Buren's original possessions remain in the house, including the bed he died in. Here are some photos from my visit.
Home Location: 1013 Old Post Road - Kinderhook, New York
Gravesite Location: Kinderhook Reformed Church Cemetery - Kinderhook, New York
Martin Van Buren
- 8th President of the United States (1837-1841)
- Born December 5th, 1782 in Kinderhook, New York
- Died July 24, 1862 (age 79) in Kinderhook, New York
- Democratic Party
- Vice President to Andrew Jackson (1833-1837)
- Ran unsuccessfully for the Presidency 3 more times (1840, 1844, 1848 - including under the anti-slavery Free Soil Party in 1848).
- The first President to be born after the United States declared independence.
- The only U.S. President to speak English as a second language (Dutch was his first).
A short distance from Lindenwald is Van Buren's gravesite in Kinderhook Reformed Church Cemetery, as well as the location of the house where he was born.